DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Whoopi Goldberg Defends Oscar Nominations Amid Barbie Snub

If you're a fan of the Barbie movies, you might be feeling disappointed by the lack of recognition they received at this year's Academy Awards. Despite being critically acclaimed and commercially successful, none of the animated films featuring the iconic doll made it to the list of nominees for Best Animated Feature. Some fans have even accused the Academy of being biased and elitist, favoring more serious and artistic films over fun and family-friendly ones.

Whoopi Goldberg recently shared her thoughts on Barbie's Margot Robbie and Greta Gerwig being snubbed by the Academy Awards because they weren't nominated for best leading actress and best director, respectively.

The EGOT winner said on Wednesday's episode of The View, "Here's the deal: Everybody doesn't win," before adding, "They're not snubs. And that's what I want to sort of point out."

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 16 (Feb 10 – May 3, 2025) opens registrations; register today for early bird discounts.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

But not everyone agrees with this sentiment. And the most vocal defenders of the Oscar nominations is none other than Whoopi Goldberg, the legendary actress and comedian who has won an Oscar herself for her role in Ghost. In a recent interview, said that she thinks the Academy did a fair job in selecting the best animated films of the year, and that Barbie fans should not take it personally.

According to Goldberg "I love Barbie as much as anyone, but let's be honest, they're not exactly groundbreaking cinema," Goldberg said. "They're cute and entertaining, but they don't really challenge or inspire the audience in any meaningful way. They're just toys come to life, and that's fine, but it's not enough to win an Oscar."

Goldberg also pointed out that there were many other animated films that deserved recognition, such as Luca, Encanto, Raya and the Last Dragon, and The Mitchells vs. The Machines, which were all nominated for Best Animated Feature. According to Goldberg these films had more originality, creativity, and diversity than the Barbie movies, and that they tackled important themes such as identity, family, culture, and friendship.

"I think the Academy did a great job in celebrating the diversity and richness of animation this year," Goldberg said. "There were so many different stories and styles and voices that represented the best of what animation can do. And I think that's what the Oscars are all about: honoring excellence in filmmaking."

Goldberg also urged Barbie fans to respect the opinions of others and to enjoy the movies they love without expecting awards or validation from others.

"Look, I get it. We all have our favorite movies and characters that we root for. And sometimes we feel like they don't get the recognition they deserve. But that doesn't mean we have to be angry or bitter or disrespectful to those who disagree with us. We can still love our movies and be happy for those who win. Because at the end of the day, it's just entertainment. It's not life or death. So, let's just have fun and enjoy the show."

Uploaded files: