DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Tems makes Times 100 Next List.

If you are a fan of Nigerian music, you have probably heard of Tems, the Grammy-winning artist and songwriter who has captivated audiences with her soulful voice and unique style. Tems, whose full name is Temilade Openiyi, has been making waves in the global music scene since her debut EP For Broken Ears in {2020}, which featured hits like Try Me, Damages, and The Key.

Tems has collaborated with some of the biggest names in the industry, such as Wizkid, Drake, Khalid, and Justin Bieber. She has also performed at prestigious events like the Grammy Awards, the BET Awards, and the MTV Video Music Awards. Her latest album, If Orange Was A Place, has received rave reviews from critics and fans alike, showcasing her versatility and growth as an artist.

But Tems is not just a talented musician, she is also a visionary leader who is using her platform to inspire and empower others. That is why she has earned a spot-on TIME Magazine's {2023} TIME 100 Next list, joining a select group of people "who have achieved peak influence in their fields." This curated list by TIME Magazine spotlights 100 emerging leaders making waves in various fields such as business, entertainment, sports, politics, health, science, and activism around the globe.

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 16 (Feb 10 – May 3, 2025) opens registrations; register today for early bird discounts.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

Tems is one of the four Nigerians who made the list this year, along with Dr. Toyin Ajayi, the co-founder and CEO of Cityblock Health, a tech-driven healthcare provider committed to enhancing health outcomes for marginalised communities facing systemic challenges; Abbey Wemimo and Samir Goel, founders and CEOs of Esusu, a fintech startup that helps low-income people build credit and save money; and Mercy Mutemi, a lawyer and activist who fights for women's rights and reproductive justice in Kenya.

Tems was praised by Mary J. Blige, an American singer-songwriter and actress, who wrote for the magazine: "Tems is in a class all by herself because no other artist sounds like her. That voice is so unique and original, so much so that it reminds me of the first time I heard Nina Simone. They both sing with emotion and conviction, making you feel every word they sing. I know she will make it far because she's a talented writer, singer, and producer—my only hope for her is that she becomes one of the biggest artists of her time. Talent is one thing, but how you treat people and treat yourself in this industry brings longevity, and I believe she will be around for a while because she's a beautiful human being inside and out."

We couldn't agree more with Mary J. Blige's words. Tems is indeed a rare gem who deserves all the recognition and accolades she is getting. She is not only making Nigeria proud, but also inspiring millions of people around the world with her music and her message. We congratulate her on making the TIME 100 Next list and we look forward to seeing more of her amazing work in the future.

Uploaded files: