DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Nigerian singer Teni has revealed that she abstained from alcohol and did not smoke until 2021, despite being in the music industry for years.

Singer Teni is one of the most popular and talented artists in the Nigerian music industry. She has won several awards and accolades for her catchy songs and unique style. But did you know that she only started drinking alcohol in 2021? Yes, you read that right. The singer revealed in a recent interview that she had never tasted alcohol nor smoke before the year 2021 and decided to try it out of curiosity.

This surprising revelation came during her recent interview on the popular Zero Conditions Podcast, after she declined an offer for a drink from one of the hosts.

Taken aback, the host asked if she had stopped drinking, to which she affirmed, explaining that it wasn't difficult because she only started drinking in 2021.

The host was surprised, prompting, Teni to share the backstory of why she started.

She began, "I began drinking in 2021. I'm a naturally adventurous person. I've been in this industry for six years without drinking or smoking. I started drinking for fun, and the first time was in Lagos.

"At home, I thought, 'You guys are always getting drunk, what does it feel like? Let me just try it.' So, I drank Henny, but I didn't get drunk. I was waiting for it to happen, but it didn't, so I just went to sleep. Everybody was like, 'Aaah, Teni.'"

She said: "I just wanted to know what it feels like. I had heard so many stories about how alcohol makes you feel good or bad, and I wanted to experience it for myself. I'm not a heavy drinker, though. I only drink occasionally and moderately. I don't like getting drunk or losing control."

Teni went on to explain that even during her time at the University of Georgia in the United States, where there was constant pressure to drink alcohol, she abstained.

"I didn't drink while I was in school. Do you know what school I went to? The University of Georgia, it's a football school, and there's a lot of pressure to drink, but I didn't. I only ever do what I want to do. In all the videos and skits where I hold a cup, it's usually juice or water," the singer added.

She added that she prefers wine and champagne over hard liquor then, and that she drinks responsibly. She also said that she does not drink before performing or recording, as she wants to maintain her vocal quality and professionalism. She said: "I love my fans and I respect my craft. I don't want to compromise my performance or my reputation by drinking irresponsibly. Then I know my limits and I stick to them."

Singer Teni is not the only celebrity who started drinking alcohol later in life. Other famous personalities who have admitted to being late bloomers when it comes to alcohol. They all have different reasons for their choices, but most of them share a common trait: they are successful and respected in their fields.

This revelation comes after Teni's diagnosis with a life-threatening Throat Infection in July 2023, which led to temporary voice loss. After undergoing surgery and spending time in the hospital in September 2023, she decided to stop drinking and avoid anything that could endanger her singing voice again.

Drinking alcohol is a personal decision that should be made with caution and awareness. It is not a requirement for being cool or successful. It is also not a solution for stress or problems. It is important to know the effects and risks of alcohol consumption, and to drink moderately and responsibly if you choose to do so.

Uploaded files: