DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Meryl Streep's Latest Comments on Possibility of Mamma Mia 3 Will Have You Sending an S.O.S.

Meryl Streep is one of the most iconic and versatile actresses of our time, and she has starred in many memorable roles, including Donna Sheridan in the musical comedy Mamma Mia and its sequel Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again. Fans of the franchise have been eagerly waiting for a third installment, but it seems that Streep is not so keen on the idea.

In a recent interview with Variety, Streep revealed that she thinks the story of Donna and her three possible fathers has reached a satisfying conclusion, and that she does not see the need for another sequel. "I think we've done it. I think we've told the story. I think it was a wonderful experience, but I don't think there's anything more to say," she said.

Streep also expressed her gratitude for being part of the Mamma Mia movies, which are based on the songs of the Swedish pop group ABBA. She said that she loved working with the cast and crew, and that she had a lot of fun singing and dancing to the catchy tunes. "It was a joy. It was a celebration of life and love and friendship. And it was a tribute to ABBA, who are amazing artists and songwriters. I'm so glad I got to do it," she said.

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 16 (Feb 10 – May 3, 2025) opens registrations; register today for early bird discounts.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

Streep's comments may disappoint some fans who were hoping for a third Mamma Mia movie, especially after the success of the second one, which grossed over $395 million worldwide and received positive reviews from critics and audiences alike. The sequel also introduced new characters, such as Donna's younger self played by Lily James, and her grandmother played by Cher, who added more depth and humor to the story.

However, Streep's opinion does not necessarily mean that Mamma Mia 3 will never happen. After all, she was not involved in the development of the second movie, and she only had a cameo appearance in it. The producers of the franchise may still decide to continue the story with or without her, depending on the availability of the other actors and the demand from the fans.

For now, though, it seems that Mamma Mia 3 is not on the horizon, and that we will have to settle for rewatching the first two movies or listening to the soundtrack albums. But who knows? Maybe one day, we will hear Streep singing an S.O.S. to join the cast again.

And given Donna's passing, Streep isn't sure how producer Judy Cramer would incorporate the character into a storyline if a third film were to be made. However, that's not to say she isn't thinking about how she could return.

"I told Judy if she could figure out a way to reincarnate Donna, I'm into that," she noted to Vogue. "Or it could be like in one of those soap operas where Donna comes back and reveals it was really her twin sister that died."

For now, the actress is continuing to wait and see what the future holds. As she put it, "We may have to call it Grand-Mamma Mia! By the time we make it!"

However, her castmates weren't afraid to lay all their love on the idea for a third movie.

"I'd be there like a shot for all of the reasons I've given about the joys of making the first two films," Firth told the magazine. "There just has to be a good enough idea to reunite us. It doesn't have to be a good idea in any lofty sense, but it just has to be a good enough script to give us another go.

Uploaded files: