DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

How Jessica Alba's Mexican Heritage Has Inspired Her Approach to Parenting

How Jessica Alba's Mexican Heritage Has Inspired Her Approach to Parenting

Jessica Alba is not only a successful actress and entrepreneur, but also a proud mother of three children: Honor, Haven and Hayes married to Cash Warren. In a recent interview, she shared how her Mexican heritage has influenced her approach to parenting and how she strives to pass on her culture and values to her kids.

Alba, who was born in California to a Mexican American father and a Danish-French mother, said that growing up in a multicultural household taught her to appreciate diversity and respect different perspectives. She also learned to speak Spanish from her grandparents, who immigrated to the US from Mexico.

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 16 (Feb 10 – May 3, 2025) opens registrations; register today for early bird discounts.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

"I think it's important for my kids to know where they come from and to be proud of their roots," she said. "I want them to embrace their Mexican heritage and to celebrate the traditions, the food, the music, the language and the history of their ancestors."

One of the ways that Alba incorporates her Mexican culture into her parenting is by cooking authentic dishes for her family, such as enchiladas, tacos, pozole and mole. She also plays Latin music at home and teaches her kids some Spanish words and phrases.

Another way that Alba draws inspiration from her Mexican heritage is by instilling a strong work ethic and a sense of gratitude in her children. She said that her grandparents worked hard to provide for their family and to achieve their American dream, and that they always reminded her to be thankful for what she had.

And she never misses an opportunity to remind her crew of the hard work that went into affording their fancy kicks.

"I have been fortunate enough that I've been able to actually bring a kid along on business trips," Alba explained. "I actually like my kids to see me working and I want them to see what it's like." And while that might mean, say, a trip to Paris filled with top-notch room service, sightseeing and watching the French Open, she noted, "sometimes they'll sit in the corner and I'm doing a boring meeting."

The goal, she continued, is "getting them outside of that everyday routine and having them see your life isn't free. There's a cost. There's things that we have to do as parents in order for you to have what you have."

"I want my kids to understand that nothing comes easy in life and that they have to work hard for what they want," she said. "I also want them to appreciate the opportunities and the privileges that they have, and to give back to the community and to the world."

Alba said that she hopes that by exposing her kids to her Mexican culture, she will help them develop a sense of identity and belonging, as well as an open-mindedness and a curiosity about other cultures.

"I think it's beautiful to be able to share your culture with your children and to see them grow up with a rich and diverse background," she said. "I think it makes them more compassionate, more empathetic and more adaptable. I think it's one of the best gifts that you can give them as a parent.

Uploaded files: