DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Discover Dublin: A Blend of Tradition, Innovation, and Inclusive Tourism

Ireland's bustling capital has been transforming the traveler experience, emphasizing local people and cultural heritage. My first memories of Dublin are tied to its storied docklands: riding a borrowed bike through the "two-up-two-down" redbrick terraces in Ringsend, where my grandparents lived, and building sandcastles on nearby Sandymount Beach. Each visit brings a surge of belonging as I see the low-lying cityscape blending into the tranquil, wildlife-rich UNESCO-listed Biosphere Bay. This place evokes strong emotions, even though I've never lived there.

Dublin's innovative approach to balancing the needs of people and nature is one reason it has been named European Smart Tourism Capital 2024 by the European Commission. The city has also introduced new experiences that delve into "what it means to be Irish," catering not only to the global Irish diaspora but also to those eager to immerse themselves in local life.

Barry Rogers, head of Dublin City Tourism Unit, explains that the city has revolutionized the traditional tourism experience by "putting locals and people at its heart." A prime example is the new Dublin Discovery Trails app, which takes visitors from modern-day Dublin to pivotal historical events. The app offers guided tours and stories narrated by residents who once lived in the crowded inner city tenements. Additionally, a "Stargate" style portal live streams with New York, enabling interactions across the miles.

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 16 (Feb 10 – May 3, 2025) opens registrations; register today for early bird discounts.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

Dublin triumphed over 30 competitors from 17 countries to win this prestigious title, evaluated on sustainability, accessibility, digitalization, cultural heritage, and creativity. Rogers credits the 1,100 residents who provided feedback to help shape these experiences, which will benefit both Dublin's 592,000 citizens and its 8.6 million annual visitors.

When I mention that my mother is from Ringsend, Irish people often respond with a mix of pride and historical reflection. Ringsend, where Oliver Cromwell landed in 1649, played a pivotal role in Ireland's history. In the early 2000s, tech giants transformed the docklands, blending modernity with the area's historical-industrial charm. Despite these changes, the community spirit remains strong in Ringsend's vibrant old-meets-new neighborhood. The area's shops and pubs exemplify Dublin's renowned quick-witted chat, or "craic," contributing to the city's reputation as one of the friendliest in Europe and the world.

Dublin's Smart Tourism win is further enhanced by its goal to become the world's first autism-friendly capital by 2026. Leading this initiative, the Guinness Storehouse offers a tour designed with AsIAm (Ireland's National Autism Charity) to accommodate visitors with sensory processing differences. Kits with earplugs, sensory maps, and visual guides are available, and on designated days, noise and light are minimized, announcements are silenced, and music is turned off.

Using the new Dublin Discovery Trails app, I explore the familiar docklands from a fresh perspective. At virtual reality points, my smartphone merges real-world views with animations, audio, and 3D graphics, bringing historical events to life. I witness steam-powered Guinness barges on the River Liffey, soldiers at the Crimean Banquet, and a 360-degree view of the Custom House fire during the War of Independence (1919-1921). Along the way, historical figures like Maggie Doyle, a docker's daughter, and Captain Bligh of mutiny fame, who surveyed Dublin Bay in 1801, share their stories.

More themed routes are being developed to delve deeper into the city's history and the people who shaped it. Anseo (meaning "here" in Irish Gaelic), an open-air contemporary art gallery, is the first of its kind in Ireland. It features a walking trail of 28 commissioned murals in Dún Laoghaire, celebrating local characters, maritime culture, and wildlife.

In conclusion, Dublin's dynamic transformation into a hub of cultural and historical exploration, combined with its commitment to inclusivity and sustainability, has made it a standout destination. By prioritizing local voices and heritage, the city offers visitors an authentic and enriching experience that celebrates what it truly means to be Irish. Dublin's innovative initiatives, such as the Dublin Discovery Trails app and the goal to become the world's first autism-friendly capital, reflect a forward-thinking approach that respects the past while embracing the future. As Dublin continues to evolve, it remains a place of deep personal connection for many, offering both residents and visitors countless opportunities to explore, learn, and belong.

Uploaded files: