DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

CJ Obasi to release a reworked version of 'O-Town' later this Year.

Hey, movie buffs! I have some exciting news for you. Do you remember the 2015 crime thriller 'O-Town' by CJ Obasi? The one that depicted the gritty underworld of oil-rich Port Harcourt in Nigeria? Well, guess what? The director himself has announced that he will release a reworked version of the film later this year!

Via a post on X (formerly Twitter), Obasi said that the crime-gangster thriller will return later this year, re-edited, remixed and re-mastered. "Oh, and we’ll be releasing the definitive edition of O-Town this year. Re-edited, remixed and re-mastered," Obasi said.

That's right, CJ Obasi is not done with 'O-Town' yet. He said recently that he was unhappy with how the original film turned out, and that he wants to give it a fresh makeover. He said he has re-edited the film, added new scenes, improved the sound design, and even changed the ending!

The semi-autobiographical film tells the story of a young man, Peace (played by Paul Utomi), a hustler with an ambition to rule the town in Owerri, known as O-Town.

Written, directed and produced by Obasi, the cast includes Brutus RichardIfeanyi Delvin IjeomaChucks Chyke, BBNaija alumnus Ifu EnnadaLucy AmehKalu Ikeagwu and Olu Alvin.

O-Town first premiered in November 2015 at the African International Film Festival (AFRIFF) in Lagos and then at the Goteborg Film Festival 2016 in Sweden.

It was Nominated at the Screen Nation Film and Television Awards in 2016 for the Favorite International Movie category, then later on in the same year, at the Africa Movie Academy Awards (AMAA) for Most Promising Actor (Ennada), and for Best Nigerian Film. It won the Achievement in Soundtrack category.

He also said that the reworked version will be more faithful to his original vision, and that it will explore the themes of corruption, violence, and survival in a more nuanced and realistic way. He said he hopes that the new version will appeal to both fans of the original film and new audiences who may have missed it.

Obasi, for long a Nigerian film industry insider, attained new acclaim after the release of Mami Wata last year. The black-and-white epic, an international film festival favorite, will debut in Germany on Friday, January 12, 2024, and then later in Australia.

It tells the tale of an African Goddess in a village that runs into chaos due to disagreements between villagers and the priestess over the deteriorating state of the community.

I don't know about you, but I'm super hyped for this. 'O-Town' was one of the most original and daring films to come out of Nollywood in recent years, and I can't wait to see how CJ Obasi has improved it. He is one of the most talented and visionary filmmakers in Nigeria, and I'm sure he has something amazing in store for us.

So, mark your calendars, folks. The reworked version of 'O-Town' is coming soon to a cinema near you. Don't miss it!

Uploaded files: