DD
MM
YYYY

spot_img

PAGES

Home Tekedia Forum

Tekedia Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Chris Hemsworth Shares How He's Fighting Alzheimer's Disease

Chris Hemsworth, the actor best known for playing Thor in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, has recently revealed that he has a genetic predisposition for Alzheimer's Disease, a progressive brain disorder that affects memory, thinking and behavior. In an exclusive interview with Health Magazine, Hemsworth opened up about how he learned of his risk and what he's doing to prevent or delay the onset of the disease.

Hemsworth said that he decided to take a DNA test after his father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's a few years ago. He wanted to know if he had inherited the APOE4 gene, which is associated with an increased risk of developing the disease. The test results confirmed that he had one copy of the gene, which means that he has a 30% chance of developing Alzheimer's by age 75, compared to 10% for someone without the gene.

"I was shocked and scared when I got the news," Hemsworth said. "I love my dad and I don't want to see him suffer. And I don't want to go through the same thing or put my family through that. So, I decided to take action and do everything I can to lower my risk and protect my brain health."

Tekedia Mini-MBA edition 16 (Feb 10 – May 3, 2025) opens registrations; register today for early bird discounts.

Tekedia AI in Business Masterclass opens registrations here.

Join Tekedia Capital Syndicate and invest in Africa’s finest startups here.

Hemsworth said that he consulted with his doctor and a nutritionist and made some changes to his diet and lifestyle. He said that he follows a Mediterranean-style diet, which is rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fish, nuts and olive oil. He also avoids processed foods, added sugars, saturated fats and alcohol. He said that this diet helps reduce inflammation and oxidative stress in the brain, which are linked to Alzheimer's.

He also said that he exercises regularly, both physically and mentally. He does cardio, strength training and yoga to keep his body fit and his blood flow optimal. He also does crossword puzzles, sudoku and chess to challenge his mind and keep it sharp. He said that exercise helps stimulate the growth of new brain cells and connections, which can counteract the effects of Alzheimer's.

He also said that he prioritizes sleep and stress management. He tries to get at least eight hours of sleep every night and follows a consistent bedtime routine. He also meditates daily and practices gratitude and positive affirmations. He said that sleep and stress are crucial for brain health, as they affect the levels of hormones and neurotransmitters that regulate memory, mood and cognition.

Hemsworth said that he hopes that by sharing his story, he can inspire others to take care of their brain health and raise awareness about Alzheimer's Disease. He said that he is optimistic about the future and believes that science will find a cure or a treatment for the disease.

"I'm not going to let this gene define me or limit me," Hemsworth said. "I'm going to live my life to the fullest and enjoy every moment. And I'm going to do everything I can to keep my brain healthy and strong for as long as possible."

Uploaded files: