The Addis project provides for establishing five clusters within the university to develop innovative projects. These are ICT, energy, minerals, agriculture and health clusters
- ICT – strategic computer technologies and software are included in the list of priorities that are supported by the Addis project. The mission of the IT Cluster is to create an effective ecosystem model for the development and commercialisation of innovations in information technology, electronics and general manufacturing in Africa.
- Energy – cluster of energy efficient technologies introduces new breakthrough technology solutions aimed at the reduction of energy consumption by industrial, housing and municipal infrastructure facilities.
- Health – the strategic goal of the cluster is to create an ecosystem for innovation in this field. To do this, the best practices of the leading biotechnology, medical and biomedical research centres have been studied.
- Agriculture – the goal of this cluster is to develop innovative solutions to Africa’s agricultural challenges. This will involve both technology tools, best practices in farming, food processing mechanisms and efficient food transportation roadmaps
- Minerals – The development of mineral processing technology is the key to winning an innovative leadership position and sustaining the capability of the country since the GDP is dominated by mineral export. At the same time, the goal of the cluster is not only to enhance the competitiveness of mineral processing and transportation, but also the creation of new breakthrough technologies and products in the chemical and material industries.
Cluster Focus Areas
- Electronics manufacturing
- New generation of multimedia search engines
- Recognition and processing of images, video and voice
- Analytical software
- Mobile applications
- Embedded control systems
- Web X.0
- Complex engineering solutions
- New technology for the transfer and storage of information
- Cloud computing
- Green Information Technology
- Software for the financial and banking sectors
- IT Security
- IT in Medicine and Healthcare
- Wireless sensor networks
- IT in Education
- Materials and engineering solutions for the improvement of heat transfer and disposal of secondary low-grade heat from power plants;
- Materials and technologies aimed at the reduction of losses in heating systems: insulation, methods of diagnostics and extension of the useful life of pipelines;
- Materials and technologies aimed at reducing losses during energy transfer, including: •energy efficiency and energy transfer safety;
- Management technologies through active adaptive networks;
- Superconductivity technologies;
- Energy storage units;
- Technology of energy metering on the part of generation and consumers;
- Increased efficiency in the field of renewable energy sources.
- Materials and technologies aimed at increasing the energy efficiency of buildings and structures, including insulation and façade materials, new generation energy-efficient windows, light diodes for internal lighting and high-intensity discharge lamps for external lighting;
- Materials, engineering solutions and technologies aimed at increasing energy efficiency of industry in the segments of metallurgy, oil and gas transportation, utilisation of associated petroleum gas, chemical and petrochemical production;
- Technological solutions for the integrated use of electricity and energy resources, including the utilisation of associated gas.
- Materials & devices modifying structure, physiology, or development of tissues (clinical bioengineering)
- E-health, clinical informatics, and devices for patient monitoring, diagnosis, and therapeutic indications
- Radio-chemical treatments, radiation diagnostics and therapies
- Translational (personalised) medicine, biomarkers
- Cell technologies for development of pluripotent or differentiated cells or tissues
- Immuno-therapeutics, therapeutics for inflammation
- Anti- microbial drugs, vaccines and diagnostics
- Anti- viral drugs, vaccines and diagnostics
- Cancer drugs & diagnostics
- Cardio-vascular drugs & diagnostics
- Endocrine drugs & diagnostics
- Neurological drugs & diagnostics
- Tools for large scale dna or protein sequence analysis
- Tools for comparative genomics, pharmaco- and immuno-genomics
- Computational systems biology models and methods
- Cell or organ image analysis algorithms
- Omics data integration models and methods
- Molecular modeling tools, molecular interaction models and tools
- Harvesting and processing technologies
- Production techniques
- Process modelling and engineering
- Mineral science technologies
- The development of new properties of materials.
- Machine(ry) construction, instrument making and new microelectronics technologies.
- Technologies of designing, constructing, modeling and engineering of complicated technological objects and systems.
- Predictive modeling in power mechanical engineering
- Modeling of material structure and properties in extreme conditions
- Automated control systems
- Farm machinery design and development
- Animal, crop and plan engineering
- Best practices
- Perservation technologies
- Gene engineering
- Processing tools, development, construction
For more about the Addis Project, click here.